Q: I’m worried about my mom living alone - I suspect she’s not eating well and taking her medications as she should. What can I do?
A: Call the Aging & Disability Resource Center of Ozaukee County (ADRC) at 262-284-8120 and talk with an Information and Assistance Specialist. We can help sort through your concerns, identify the problems, and suggest elderly care services and solutions for you and your mom. We can also meet with your mom in person and provide a professional assessment at no charge.

Q: My elderly uncle needs help with simple household tasks or minor home repairs.  IS there help available?
A: The ADRC can help match your uncle with resources and services that are reliable and trustworthy, at costs that are based upon his ability to pay. We can help you and your uncle find solutions.  If a family member needs help caring for an elderly loved one, there may be funding available to help cover the expenses of caring for that loved one.

Q: I believe I have a disability and would like to apply for Social Security benefits. Where do I start?
A: You can start by contacting the Social Security Administration or by calling the ADRC and getting assistance with the application process based upon your need for help.

Q: I don’t understand the Medicare Part D plan and Senior Care - what’s the difference and which is best for me and my wife?
A: Call the ADRC for information on prescription drug plans (and health plans in general). If you are 60 or older, you can schedule an appointment with our Elderly Benefit Specialist. If you are between the ages of 18-59 and have a disability, our Disability Benefit Specialist will work with you.

Q: I have become the caregiver for my wife who has Alzheimer’s Disease, and at times, I don’t feel like I know what I’m doing. I think I need help, but don’t want to be a burden. What can I do?
A: Rest assured that you are not alone. The ADRC has staff who specialize in dementia care issues and are here to support you, your loved one and your entire family. They can assess your situation, offer suggestions for assistance, and connect you with other caregiver resources that are available in your area. The Alzheimer’s Association is also a Caregiver Connection partner who offers classes, support groups and a 24/7 helpline that you may find helpful also.

Q: I’m having surgery and I’m worried that I won’t be able to prepare meals for my husband and I while I’m recuperating. Is there help available to me?
A: Call the ADRC to learn about the home delivery meal program in our county as well as other meal service providers who can help out until you’re back on your feet.

Q: I have an elderly neighbor who I’m very worried about. I don’t want to intrude on her privacy, but I’m afraid she’s not taking care of herself and something bad might happen. What should I do?
A: You can help her without invading her privacy by calling the ADRC.  We have skilled professionals who can develop a relationship with her to better understand her situation in a tactful manner, and offer her suggestions for elderly care services and programs to help her continue living as independently and as safely as possible.

Q: I suspect that someone I know is being abused. He is dependent on others for help and he’s vulnerable, but he’ll never “tell” on the person who is taking advantage of him. What can I do?
A: Call the ADRC as soon as possible. We will have one of our Information and Assistance Specialists or other appropriate professionals assess and deal with the situation to ensure the health and safety of the victim.

© 2020 by Caregiver Connection of Ozaukee County. 121 W Main Street Port Washington WI 53074

let us help

  • b-facebook